Crohn’s Disease and Stem Cell Treatment

Crohn's DiseaseStem cell therapy has successfully treated patients suffering from Crohn’s Disease, an autoimmune condition in which the body’s immune system attacks the gastrointestional tract.  In North America, an estimated 600,000 people have Crohn’s Disease.

Crohn’s Disease can result in a lifetime of severe diarrhea and stomach pain for its sufferers.  In fact, severe is often an understatement.  For some, Crohn’s Disease can mean 20-30 painful and embarrassing diarrhea visits to the toilet everyday.  Treatment is sometimes effective for mild cases of the disease, but for the most severe cases treatment options are very limited.  Many patients have multiple surgeries to remove sections of their intestinal tract, deal with painful scar tissue, and still have to deal with ongoing symptoms of the disease itself.

Now with stem cell therapy, people with Crohn’s Disease are seeing their symptoms either completely or almost completely disappear.  In a multinational research study, 80% of treated patients experienced full remission.  The other 20% of participants gained important improvement in quality of life.   Because the treatment itself is relatively new, we do not yet know how effective stem cell therapy is very long term.  However, after eight years, some patients have remained in remission and continue to be symptom-free.

Stem cell transplant therapy is a serious medical procedure that patients choose to consider carefully.  It should only be performed in a hospital setting with skillful, trained physicians.  There are many providers and hospitals that tout their treatments and successes with stem cells; however, many of them are not effectively monitored or regulated, provide treatments in sham medical centers or hotels, and do not disclose the source of the stem cells they use.    Fortunately, there are outstanding hospitals and doctors when you know where to look.  At Soter, we help you find them.

The treatment procedure we prefer is straightforward and simple.  Patients receive a series of four to five stem cell transplants, either by IV or spinal injection, over a four week period.  The injections are coupled with a combination of medicines that are designed to direct the stem cells to the desired location(s).  Complementary therapy treatments help care for symptoms during a patient’s hospital stay.  Patients are monitored to ensure there are no adverse effects of the treatment.  After discharge from the hospital, a patient will continue to communicate with the hospital regarding their progress.  In addition, with permission, Soter will share your medical records with your home physician(s), so he or she can participate effectively in your continuing care.

If you have Crohn’s Disease or know someone who does, please use the contact box to get more information about stem cell information.